I used to prep steel-cut oats at night, but somehow this was much easier when my son was a toddler versus now in preschool. And as much as I love the taste and nutrition in steel-cut oats, they’re way too time-consuming to make in the morning. Enter quick steel-cut oats, sold much like quick-cooking barley so that the cooking time is nearly a third. This recipe comes together while your crew is stumbling out of bed and getting dressed.
- 2 cups vanilla non-dairy milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick steel-cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Combine the milk and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the oats, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 7 minutes, until thickened. Cover and let stand for 1 minute.
We like the oats drizzled with maple syrup and then topped with strawberries and chopped pecans. How do you top your oats in the morning?