These calzones feature a hearty filling of meatless Italian sausage, roasted squash, and creamy pesto. In other words, an entree that’s sure to warm up cold family members after a winter’s day! If your household is split between vegans and non-vegans, the latter can add a little crumbled goat cheese to the filling before folding the calzones in half. Just make sure you mark whose is whose!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 vegan Italian sausage links
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough
- 4 tablespoons vegan pesto
- Combine the olive oil salt, and squash in a baking dish, tossing to coat. Roast at 425 degrees F for about 40 minutes, until tender, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, chop the sausage and cook in a skillet over medium heat until browned; set aside.
- Divide the pizza dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a 6-inch circle and spread with 1 tablespoon pesto. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the sausage and about 1/2 cup roasted squash. Fold the bottom edge of the dough up to the top, pressing to seal. Place on a baking sheet and make a few slits in the top of the dough, then repeat with the remaining 3 portions.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned.