Take grilled cheese to the next level with this easy upgrade.
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 cup water
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 4 slices vegan smoked provolone (such as Violife)
- To prepare the puree, combine the squash, corn, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then continue to cook for 8 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Transfer the squash mixture to a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- To prepare the sandwiches, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Spread 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Earth Balance over each bread slice. Spread the other side of each slice with 1 tablespoon puree; reserve the remaining squash puree for another use.
- Place two slices of bread in the skillet, buttered side down. Top each with 2 slices provolone, then cover with the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Cook for 3 minutes on each side.