Beans and avocado give an extra nutritional punch to a plain cheese quesadilla.
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4-ounce) jar carrot puree
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Salsa for serving
- To prepare the black bean mash, combine the beans and carrot puree in a saucepan; cook for about 5 minutes, until warmed through. Mash with a potato masher in the saucepan.
- Spread about 1/2 cup bean mixture over two of the tortillas; reserve any remaining bean mixture for another use.
- Peel and mash the avocado, then divide evenly over the bean mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 1/4 cup cheese and top with the remaining two tortillas.
- Cook in a heated skillet for about 4 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Cut into wedges and serve with fresh salsa if desired!
You can try variations on the filling if you want to keep things fresh for the kids. Try pinto beans with butternut squash puree instead.
Or black beans mixed with a little bit of canned pumpkin!
All the options are guaranteed delicious.