You can make this classic holiday treat vegan thanks to white chocolate chips from companies like Pascha Organic. Look for white chocolate at health stores or online at veganessentials.com.
The recipe has lots of kid-friendly steps (including a chance to eat extra candy canes as we worked!) so I had two happy elves in the kitchen.
- 2 cups non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 2 cups non-dairy white chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 candy canes
- Combine the chocolate chips and 1/2 teaspoon oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 20 second intervals until melted, stirring each time. Pour the chocolate mixture into a 13×9-inch baking dish lined with foil, spreading to the edges with a spatula.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes, until set. Meanwhile, combine the white chocolate chips and remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil in a bowl and microwave at 20 second intervals, until melted. Stir the peppermint extract into the white chocolate and pour over the chilled chocolate layer.
- Place the candy canes in a zip-top plastic bag and seal. Use a mallet to crush, then sprinkle evenly over the white chocolate layer.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour, until firm, then break into pieces.