Although we’re not a religious family, we do love reading the the story of the nativity each Christmas, with familiar characters like the angels, three Wise Men, and shepherds. Hence why these shepherd’s pies make the perfect entree for a special Christmas dinner!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12-ounce) packages meatless crumbles
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup non-dairy sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To prepare the filling, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatless crumbles, onion, and carrot; cook for 7 minutes until the crumbles start to brown. Stir in the flour, followed by the tomato paste, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and thyme. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes, or until the liquid thickens. Fold in the peas and cook for 2 minutes. Divide the filling mixture evenly among ramekins.
- To prepare the topping, peel and cube the potatoes and cover with water in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan. Add the sour cream, butter, and salt; mash with potato masher until smooth.
- Spoon the potato topping evenly over the filling in each ramekin.
- Place the pies on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.