You’ll delight your family on Christmas morning with cinnamon rolls not only shaped like a candy cane, but flavored with them, too!
For the dough:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 and 3/4 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
- 3/4 cup plain soy milk
- 2 Ener-G eggs
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance butter, softened
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup non-dairy cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk
- Red food coloring
- 2 candy canes
- To prepare the dough, combine the sugar, yeast, salt, baking soda, and flour in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a dough attachment blade.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over low heat in a saucepan. Add the milk and cook until the mixture comes to room temperature.
- Add the butter mixture and the Ener-G eggs to the flour mixture; beat for about 3 minutes, until a dough forms. Knead with your hands to form a smooth ball, then return to the bowl. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- To assemble the rolls, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside. Roll the dough into a 13-inch square on a lightly floured surface and brush with the softened butter. Sprinkle with the brown sugar mixture. Roll up tightly, then cut into 10 slices crosswise. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in the shape of a candy cane. Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 2 days in advance.
- In the morning, place the rolls at room temperature while the oven preheats. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting: whisk together the cream cheese, vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Add the peppermint extract and soy milk, whisking until smooth. Divide the frosting evenly among two zip-top plastic bags, adding a few drops of red food coloring to one.
- Arrange the cinnamon rolls on a platter in their candy cane shape. Snip a small hole in the corner of each frosting bag and drizzle the rolls evenly with the red and white frostings. Sprinkle with the crushed candy canes.