Everyone will love this carrot cake: Parents will love that all the sweetness comes from pineapples and maple syrup; birthday boys and girls will love that it tastes great! It’s perfect for toddler parties, in sum.
For the cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrot
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 cup non-dairy cream cheese
- 1/3 cup canned crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- To prepare the cake, combine the flour, oat flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon baking powder with 1 cup crushed pineapple. Add the Earth Balance butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, stirring until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until wet. Mix in the grated carrots.
- Spoon the batter into a lightly-oiled round cake pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting, combine the cream cheese, 1/2 cup pineapple and apple juice in a stand mixer; beat until combined.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled cake.
The birthday girl loved watching this bake in the oven.
The best kind of anticipation!