A creamy spinach sauce takes the place of tomato sauce in this recipe, which is perfect for the next time you need a novel spin on pizza night.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoons plain non-dairy milk
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
- 2 whole-wheat pitas
- 4 slices tomato
- 2 tablespoons shredded vegan Parmesan
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, then add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring to combine.
- Add the spinach and cook for about 2 minutes, just until wilted.
- To prepare the pizzas, spread each pita with about 1/3 cup spinach mixture. Top evenly with the tomato slices and sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan.
- Broil for 2 minutes, checking to make sure the pitas don’t burn. Cut into wedges to serve.