Cold winter nights are just begging for a hearty soup packed with veggies, and this one fits the bill! I make it almost as thick as a stew, but if you want a more traditional minestrone soup, add an additional 2 cups broth to the pot.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 chopped red onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) undrained cans diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1 russet potato, cubed
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 2 chopped carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 (15-ounce) drained can cannellini beans
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and red onion; saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, canned tomatoes, potato, celery, carrots, thyme, oregano, and basil to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans, corn, zucchini, parsley, and orzo. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Bread rolls are all you need to round out the meal!